WHY IS MY A/C NOT BLOWING COLD AIR?

1997 Cadillac Seville

lbrazzy

June, 26, 2012 AT 3:28 AM

So I recently got an A/C system recharge done on my 97 cadillac seville sls, and it was blowing decent cold air for about a month, when suddenly one day it just starts blowing warm/hot air. So I've had friends look at it and I cant seem to figure out what is wrong with it. We have looked for leaks but can't find any, and the compressor kicks on and everything. We even put 2 cans of freon in it at one time and still nothing. Could it be an orfice tube problem? Or a leak under the dashboard?

saturntech9

June, 26, 2012 AT 3:54 AM

If you added two cans and dont know how much was in it to start with now it could be over charged. What are the high and low pressures?

saturntech9

June, 26, 2012 AT 3:58 AM

You put two 12 ozs cans in it?It only holds 32 ozs when the system is empty so unless you had 8 ozs or less in the system its over charged.

lbrazzy

June, 26, 2012 AT 4:15 AM

Well the cans we emptied or thought were emptied into it were 8oz cans, one being a stopleak freon, incase there was a leak. I checked the pressure on the low side and it is at 0 right now. Recently I turned the AC on and the compressor kicks on and sounds kind of loud and then automatically shuts off, and my dash computer reads A/C refrigrant low shutting compressor off. So my question is, where did all of the freon we put in (16oz) go?

lbrazzy

June, 26, 2012 AT 4:31 AM

Could it be that the shop I took it too orginally, overcharged the system? Because it ran with decent cold air(not ice cold) but cold. And then just started blowing warm air, about a month later. And when I went to refill it with freon myself, the pressure read that it was in the red warning zone.

saturntech9

June, 26, 2012 AT 4:31 AM

First mistake was putting the stop leak in never put stop leak in a ac system. It damages/plugs the system up new car warranties are voided on the ac systems if the stop leak is put into them. If the low side reads 0 psi all the charged leaked out you should have charged the ac up with some charge with dye in it then you can find the leak with a dye light.

saturntech9

June, 26, 2012 AT 4:35 AM

You first have to find the leak you have a leak from your 0 psi pressure readings.

lbrazzy

June, 26, 2012 AT 4:37 AM

Could the leak be under the dashboard possibly? And also, why didn't the stop leak work on the leak? Was it too big of a leak?

saturntech9

June, 26, 2012 AT 4:47 AM

Lets hope the leak isnt in the evaporator core that would be a big repair. The stop leak only works sometimes on small leaks if you just charged it and it reads 0 psi its a large leak and should be easy to find. The leak could be any where keep tbat in mind. Also remember never ever use stop leak in a ac system.

lbrazzy

June, 26, 2012 AT 5:05 AM

How would I know if it is in the evaporator core? And also, how much is a typical large leak repair if its not in the evaporator core? Is there any cheap home remedies or ways to find a large leak from items from a local auto shop?

saturntech9

June, 26, 2012 AT 5:14 AM

You need to get a can of R134 with leak dye in it put it in the ac system get a ac dye light to find the leak. Look for the leak if you cant find the leak then suspect the evaporator core. There is no typical large leak senerio it could be a hose seal hole in the ac condensor etc. Thats my best advice for you thats what I would do.

Air Conditioner Recharge - Simple
Blend Door Actuator Replacement
Air Conditioner Condenser Fan Relay Replace