1974 Ford F-250 electrical issue

SSPENCER69
  • 1974 FORD F-250
Up to the other day everything was fine then all electrical components on the dash stopped working. I have checked the fuses and they are all ok. So I have no gauges fuel, temp, etc. And no heater fan controls.
Monday, December 30th, 2013 AT 8:22 AM

Did you check for voltage, anywhere? Do the dash lites work? Do you have voltage at the instrument cluster fuse or gage fuse? Use a test lite.

Even if the fuse is good, if no voltage on the fuse circuit, the circuit is still dead. Voltage feed for instrument cluster usually comes from ignition switch.

I'll look, but, I don't know if I can find wiring diagrams for your vehicle?
-1
Monday, December 30th, 2013 AT 9:11 AM
LOOK FOR A BROKEN WIRE (OR STAKE-ON RING) AT THE SOLENOID

IF YOU DON'T FIND A DANGLING WIRE OR ONE YOU FORGOT TO PUT BACK ON

. LOOSEN THE BIG NUT ON THE POSITIVE SIDE (POS CABLE SIDE) OF THE SOLENOID. CLEAN OR SCOOCH THE RINGS AROUND AND RETIGHTEN THE NUT

THIS IS A PIC FROM ONE OF MY JEEPS."A" IS "MY" POSITIVE SIDE W/ ACCESSORIES"B" IS MY STARTER ONLY

"A" AND "B" CAN BE SWAPPED ---- THE ACCESSORY WIRES STILL STAY WITH THE POS BATTERY CABLE AND THE STARTER CABLE REMAINS ALL BY ITSELF ON THE OPPOSITE POST

MINE ARE WIRED LIKE THIS SO I CAN "SHORT" (TEMPORARILY CONNECT) "C" TO "A" (THEY ARE NOW SIDE BY SIDE) THIS ALLOWS ME TO BUMP OR EVEN CRANK MY JEEP'S ENGINE USING A SCREWDRIVER FROM UNDER MY HOOD

REMOVING THE FUSES (INSTEAD OF JUST LOOKIN' AT 'EM) MIGHT SCRAPE OFF MILD CORROSION GETS ON THE FUSES AND THEIR HOLDERS---REINSTALLING THEM MIGHT GET BETTER CONTACT

---DUE TO DAMPNESS GETTING TO BOTH OF MY JEEPS FUSE BOXES, I'VE CLEANED 'EM UP AND USED "DIELECTRIC GREASE" ON THE SURFACES USING A Q-TIP, I'VE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS SINCE!

KEEP US POSTED ON PROGRESS

Monday, December 30th, 2013 AT 5:50 PM
Everybody have a good day.
Saturday, June 27th, 2015 AT 10:10 AM