MY 1973 VW BEETLES BRAKE LIGHTS STAY ILLUMINATED...

1973 Volkswagen Beetle

andrejon

February, 11, 2013 AT 6:11 PM

My 1973 VW Beetle's brake lights stay illuminated after the car is switched off. Have changed the brake light switch. Replaced brake cylinders, replaced brake pipes. What could be the problem and how can I repair it?

exovcds

February, 11, 2013 AT 6:54 PM

There should be 2 switches connected at the Brake Master Cylinder.

2 wire brake light switches or 3 wire switches?

The switches should only get power when the Key is in the ON position. Sounds like there is a wiring problem (supplying
power when they should not be getting power AND the switches are probably not wired correctly.

Do the pressure switches have Harness Plugs attached to them or is it individual wires with connectors?

Thomas

andrejon

February, 11, 2013 AT 7:31 PM

Yes it has n harness plug and it only has one swich. After 1972 they come out with just one switch. What is strange is that if you pull the break peddal a little forward then the lights goes off. What could that be.

exovcds

February, 11, 2013 AT 7:37 PM

'73 in my catalog shows 2 switches: Doesn't matter. If the lights go out when the brake pedal is pulled towards the seat, then try adjusting the "free Play" in the
pedal.

I believe it is a 14 or 15mm nut that is adjusted on the Brake Master Cylinder Push Rod (that is attached to the brake
pedal.

Like I said though. The lights should only work when the key is ON. So there is still a power issue. Power wire for brake
light switch(es) attached to wrong terminal on fuse box.

Thomas

Step by Step Brake Light Switch Replacement
Brake Light Bulb Replacement
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Subaru Legacy
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Chevrolet
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Mercedes Benz
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Mercedes Benz ML