BRAKING ISSUES

• MichaelFC
  • 1973 Mini

Good day,

I have a leyland mini 1275, I purchased the vehicle recently and after two days of use, when pressing the brake pedal down, it would lose pressure and brakes would not work. I assumed this was a master cylinder issue and after no success myself I then took it in for repairs, they said it needs to be replaced. Now unfortunately I cannot find a new master cylinder here in south africa, I managed to get hold of an opel corsa 1.4i master cylinder which will be able to work in the mini as far as I can tell, however when the piston in the master cylinder is pushed in, fluid leaks out the bottom, I dont know how a opels master cylinder works so I am not sure if this is normal or not, if so I guess it wont work on the mini.

Is there any other solution, or master cylinder that could replace my old one?

Michael

Monday, March 26th, 2012 AT 3:39 PM

• rasmataz

Sounds like the piston seals-Try using a rebuild kit

Monday, March 26th, 2012 AT 5:25 PM
  • MichaelFC

I did replace the seals, however still had the same problem, I then sent it in because I thought maybe I damaged one of the seals when putting the new ones in, but when they replaced the seals, it still had the same problem. Any other suggestions perhaps?

Monday, March 26th, 2012 AT 10:05 PM
  • rasmataz

You gonna have to Goggle it, hoping you get lucky that has it-Good Luck

Monday, March 26th, 2012 AT 10:18 PM
  • MichaelFC

Believe it or not I am currently busy googling it, trying to find some sort of a solution.

Thanks For the feedback

Monday, March 26th, 2012 AT 10:24 PM
  • rasmataz

Your welcome

Wednesday, March 28th, 2012 AT 11:15 PM
  • MichaelFC

Can you explain to me the difference between a diagonal split system( third in the image below) and a front to rear split system( fourth in the image below). Will the front to rear split system work to replace the diagonal split system in my mini?

Thursday, March 29th, 2012 AT 11:23 AM
  • rasmataz

One way to find out hook it up and see if it'll work

Thursday, March 29th, 2012 AT 11:55 AM
  • MichaelFC

That is the easiest option I guess, however its quite a bit of money to spend if it doesnt work

Thursday, March 29th, 2012 AT 12:19 PM
  • rasmataz

My problem here is I don't have this vehicle's references to detemine its brake system-Sorry

Thursday, March 29th, 2012 AT 11:06 PM