I have an overheating problem I have been fighting for a year now. I have a 67 chevelle with a '90 model 454 stroked to 496, .060 bore w/10.2 compression, with aluminum pro comp heads. Everything is brand new in this engine. It has a March single pulley system up front. The water pump is Edelbrock which came with system and not reverse flow. It was first installed with a 3 core aluminum radiator with 2 -12" fans w/shroud, pullers set to come on at 175deg. And they work fine and are the right direction. The thermostat is a 185deg w/1/8" hole drilled. Now taking the car out and getting it up to warm up, it does not stop, from 190deg up the more I drive the more it will heat up, I will usually try and have it home by the time it reaches 220, at which point it will fill the over flow tank with water. No matter it sitting or driving it will still overheat. I have tried different deg of thermostats, tried no thermostat. No matter what I do it has the same effect still overheats. The water flows when I watched it without a thermostat, so the pump is working. Tried every aspect of getting the air out of the system. Nothing changes.
Now during this experience the 454 ate a lifter with not even 100 miles on it. So I chose this time to pull the engine and make sure all water passages were clear, re checked everything new cam and lifters. Reinstalled and the same thing over again it overheated again. I did a check for exhaust gases in water, there was none detected. Still this thing overheats. Last result I installed a 4 core radiator, with the 2 -12" fans but had to lose the shroud and put fans straight to radiator due to clearance problems but I got er in there. It seemed to help a little but it still overheats. I drove it to a car show which was maybe 5 miles, only two quick stops then all freeway driving, while driving only 60mph, still when I parked the car it was at 220deg and puked water out on the ground. Since it was at night on the way home it did run cooler, the days were in the 90deg range when test driving. That night after getting it home it was around 205, I pulled it into the garage put a large fan in front to see what would happen and it still reached 230 when I shut it off. I have no idea how to proceed. I changed temp gauges, just to make sure. This car is equipped with air cond. I cant even turn that on, or figure out what to do next. I know how every thing works, this should not be overheating. I am so frustrated at what to do next. Please help with something I have missed. Thanks so much.
have the same problem?
Wednesday, June 25th, 2014 AT 3:56 PM