425 BIGBLOCK STALLS

1965 Oldsmobile 88

moparman 01

October, 9, 2011 AT 1:26 AM

When I drive down the road the car stall let it sit for a little while it will start back up the coil is new and the points are new could that have something to do with the starter? Please help

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

October, 9, 2011 AT 1:30 AM

Sounds more like carb issues than electric. That motor runs very hot and if the float level is low, it would tend to boil the fuel and thats when the motor stops.

I would be looking at the fuel delivery system.

moparman 01

October, 9, 2011 AT 1:33 AM

Thank you I will check the carb and let you know

October, 9, 2011 AT 1:41 AM

By the way, do you have the quadrajet or the wcfb?

Jacobandnickolas

October, 9, 2011 AT 1:42 AM

I agree with ase. It sounds like a fuel related problem. As he mentioned, these engines commonly ran hot. I would first check for vapor lock with the fuel. If that isn't it, the only other thing I can even think of that could do this is the wiring to the ignition system. Back then, 12 volts were fed to the ignition system on start up only. After that, there was a resister wire that dropped the voltage to 9 volts to protect points, condenser. It helped things last longer. You may want to check the resister wire for thermal issues too.

I love these old cars, but I hate to show my age. (Lol) Acttually, I wasn't born when the car was made. But I worked on a lot of similar vehicles and ones just like your when I was very young.

Let us know what you find. Remember, as ASE said, they ran hot and fuel vapor lock was an issue.

Take care,

moparman 01

October, 9, 2011 AT 2:20 AM

The thing is when it stalls and you try to crank it you can smell gasin the carb?

October, 9, 2011 AT 2:54 AM

Ok, it could be leaking down from the bottom of the carb. I think we are on the right track for you.

moparman 01

October, 9, 2011 AT 3:00 AM

Could it be fuel filter in the in the carb?

October, 9, 2011 AT 3:07 AM

Not likely. It has a bypass when it gets clogged

moparman 01

October, 9, 2011 AT 3:12 AM

I will check the bottom tomorrow to see if thats it it might be the gasket?

October, 9, 2011 AT 3:13 AM

You may need to remove the carb and look underneath it to see if the 2 plugs at the bottom are leaking.