I agree with ase. It sounds like a fuel related problem. As he mentioned, these engines commonly ran hot. I would first check for vapor lock with the fuel. If that isn't it, the only other thing I can even think of that could do this is the wiring to the ignition system. Back then, 12 volts were fed to the ignition system on start up only. After that, there was a resister wire that dropped the voltage to 9 volts to protect points, condenser. It helped things last longer. You may want to check the resister wire for thermal issues too.
I love these old cars, but I hate to show my age. (Lol) Acttually, I wasn't born when the car was made. But I worked on a lot of similar vehicles and ones just like your when I was very young.
Let us know what you find. Remember, as ASE said, they ran hot and fuel vapor lock was an issue.
Sunday, October 9th, 2011 AT 1:42 AM