1964 VW 1200 CC Beetle turns over but won't start

2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 1964 VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE
1964 VW Beetle 1200 cc mileage: 55,000. I am 14 years old. I just bought this classic and it ran for a long time (a week). I have had it for less than a month. I want to know why it won’t start. It turns over but won't start. I’m getting worried because I don’t know how long the gas should sit in there before getting bad and causing other problems. I know the car has 40-horse power it’s a type one and it’s an air-cooled engine. The oil is black. When changing the oil it recommends I run the car for a couple of minutes before, but I can’t even start the car. 14 years old seems young to get a car, but I loved cars since I was born and I’m buying the car myself. Please help! My classic 1964 VW Beetle. Thank you.
Wednesday, October 13th, 2010 AT 6:11 PM

2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
Three things are necessary for an engine to run, compression, spark at the right time and a proper amount of fuel. Check compression of the engine, spark at the spark plugs and fuel in the carburetor. By following this procedure, you will be able to determine why your car will not run.
Wednesday, October 13th, 2010 AT 6:18 PM
DR.PHILL1999
I had a 1972 Super Beetle with the same issue. I replaced the distributor with a BOSCH .009 distributor and rotor. The Bug started but kept blowing condensers like a monster. Turns out it was the timing, a lot of people use the timing gun to time the old beetles but... the mechanical advance is very aggressive and ends up messing your timing. I ended up static timing the beetle with a test light. I started it up and it still runs like a champ. although you need to make sure you tighten down the distributor bolt fairly tight or like me you will become experienced with roadside backfires. I forget how to exaclty do it so I included a video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeNN-LzJh2I
Friday, March 30th, 2018 AT 10:30 AM
KEN
Great addition to this thread! Please feel free to help out whenever you are on the site :)

Cheers, Ken
Monday, April 2nd, 2018 AT 11:26 AM