CAR STALLS,RUN ROUGH HAVE TO PUMP GAS

• slingblade
  • Chevrolet Lumina

1994 Chevy Lumina,Mileage 99,754,Automatic,Front wheel drive 6 Cycle, Acting like it`s out of gas,Runs rough,stalls,have to pump gas to keep running,No computer codes show either.Please help,what are the possibilitys

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/80402_1994_Chevy_Lumina_31_6_Cycle_1.jpg

Monday, June 18th, 2007 AT 11:31 PM

• mormegil007

I have a 92 that has the same problem. I can drive for some time (getting shorter every day) and once it starts to stall I can sometimes keep it running by giving it more gas. Once it stalls out though, I have to let it sit for some time until it cools. If I don't, when I start it and press the gas it will sort of palpitate, but as soon as I let go of the gas it will stall out again. Last night I tried to move it to a safe location after it cooled and was told by the person following me that once it started acting funny and I kept it going with a little gas persuasion some smoke came out. He didn't say from where and he couldn't tell me if it was really smoke or if it was steam. I had a loss of coolant directly before the problem originated. I'm suspecting that I blew a head gasket and the problem is deteriorating, but someone I know looked at it and said that it seems as though the car is simply shutting itself off due to high temperatures. If that was the case, why is the coolant system working fine without air bubbles or coolant loss? Why wouldn't the coolant be cold if it isn't working or overheating if there was something else causing the engine to overheat? Any thoughts?

Tuesday, June 19th, 2007 AT 12:50 PM
  • nickN

Get ur fuel pump, fuel filter, and fuel lines checked out.

Thursday, June 21st, 2007 AT 12:04 PM
  • nickN

Any luck?

Monday, July 2nd, 2007 AT 6:39 PM
  • slingblade

Haven t got it on yet, Get back with you.

Tuesday, July 3rd, 2007 AT 5:30 PM
  • slingblade

Put Filter on, Still won t start, I ll Probably say it has jump time, or timing chain belt broke.
What do you think.
It started spitting & sputting, It quit now it won t even start now.

Tuesday, July 3rd, 2007 AT 8:34 PM
  • nickN

It may have, but it sounds like the fuel pump itself, or maybe the fuel rails. I had owned a chevy pickup truck, and the same thing happened to it. Wouldnt run and if it tried it would sputter. I thought it was the timing as well, and I didnt want to mess with it, so I took it to a shop, and it turned out to be my fuel pump and rails were shot. So get those checked if possible, and maybe even check the timing when u crank ur car over.

Thursday, July 5th, 2007 AT 4:31 PM
  • slingblade

I Had Fuel Pump Put on with new Feul Filter, It Runs, But Sometimes when I start it up. It Idles up real fast for about 10 or 15 seconds then idles back down then when you slow down you have to be very careful, or it will die. Sometimes it does.
What could cause this.

Monday, July 16th, 2007 AT 10:41 PM
  • nickN

May be your idle sensor. Or dirty throttle body

Tuesday, July 17th, 2007 AT 8:29 PM
  • slingblade

For now it seems like it is get back to normal. Hopefully it s back to normal. Maybe it cleaned it self out by now hopefully it has the problem solved.

Sunday, July 22nd, 2007 AT 4:33 PM
  • nickN

Make sure u get a bottle of fuel injector cleaner, and a bottle of dry gas, put them in and put fresh gas in, and see if that clears any excess out. Also, how are all of your vaccum lines doing? This may be the result of your poor idol

Monday, July 23rd, 2007 AT 6:34 PM