1999 Dodge Ram 99 Dodge Ram JUST SHUTS DOWN

Tiny
JBLADDY
  • 1999 DODGE RAM
  • V8
  • 4WD
  • AUTOMATIC
  • 84,000 MILES
WHEN I AM DRING MY 99 RAM 4WD TRUCK, IT WILL JUST SHUT DOWN, LIKE YOU TURNED THE KEY OFF, IT WILL ONLY START AFTER IT COOLS DOWN, ITS BEEN DOING THIS FOR ABOUT A YEAR, SOMETIMES IT WILL RUN FINE FOR A WEEK TO A MONTH, THEN BLAM, JUST SHUTS DOWN, ALSO WHEN IT SHUTS DOWN, THE GAUGES DO NOT WORK, AND WHERE THE DIGITAL MILEAGE READING IS, IT WILL SAY. NO BUS.I TRIED REPLACING AND RELOCATING THE COIL, RAN FINE FOR MAYBE 2 WEEKS, THEN BLAM, IT DIED AGAIN. SO I REPLACED THE WATER PUMP, THERMOSTAT, AND FLUSED THE COLLANT SYSTEM, WORKED FINE FOR 2 DAYS, THEN DIED AGAIN THIS MORNING, THE TRUCK DOES NOT OVER HEAT, THE TEMP IS FINE, I AM STUMPED, WHAT COULD BE CAUSING THIS PROBLE, ALSO IT WILL NOT SCAN ANY CODES, SYAS ALL IS NORMAL. BOB
Tuesday, May 27th, 2008 AT 9:23 AM

8 Replies

Tiny
MERLIN2021
  • MECHANIC
  • 17,250 POSTS
No Bus is not good! You have a communication error, possibly a loose connection at the PCM or the PCM ground, I think yours is on the right side of the engine compartment near or on the firewall.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, May 27th, 2008 AT 9:48 AM
Tiny
JBLADDY
  • 1 POST
. Checked pcm connections and ground, they are fine, truck finally started after 45 minutes of sitting there, also when it shuts down, the fuel gauge does not work, when you turn the key on anf the fuel gauge works, the truck will start, could the pcm be defective, it has been doing this for over a year now. Bob
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, May 27th, 2008 AT 10:42 AM
Tiny
TIMM1954
  • 12 POSTS
Bob I'm having the same problem, did you ever figure out the fix?
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Saturday, July 4th, 2009 AT 1:13 PM
Tiny
TIMM1954
  • 12 POSTS
OK I've been reseaching this problem for a while now and have the same problem. I also bought an ALL DATA subscription. Look I think it boils down to this. Dodge has a poor design flaw as to where they put the PCM! At least on my van. RIGHT OVER THE ENGINE! Sure the fan from the radiator is going to blow on it, but lets pretent like that is going to cool it in the summer, especially when you turn on the air conditioner and add more heat from the condinser. I'd be willing to bet that most of the people on here with the same problem have their engines die when they turn on their air conditioners, and when it is hot outside. And it probably doesn't die as long as they are flying down the highway. (Hence more cool air) Here is what I did after spending money on a water temp sensor and Crank sensor and the ALL DATA thing. I ran the engine with the air conditioner on. And as usual in South Texas at 102 deg. It shut down. Got the no bus code on the odomiter, the instument cluster shutdown thingy and all. Well, then I took a water stream and cooled the PCM (computer off) Bingo! The thing started right up and ran fine. The morrow of the story is this. Do you think your home computer could run O.K. At 295 deg? Well neither can your van or truck. It's summer, and the dummies at Dodge put the PCM in the worst place! It is begging for cool air. Here is my fix. A 12 volt squirl cage fan on a relay in front of the grill, with a 2 1/2" hose running to a shroud covering the computer. Oh sure I could spend the money on a rebuilt computer that might take the heat, or I might get your old computer that they cleaned up and spray painted and sold me as a rebuilt, and now your problem is mine. That is exactly what the previous owner of this van did. It cost him 800.00 at the dealer for a rebuilt PCM! Does the same thing.
What do you think.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Saturday, July 4th, 2009 AT 4:32 PM
Tiny
MERLIN2021
  • MECHANIC
  • 17,250 POSTS
Good detective work, how is it working so far?
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Sunday, July 5th, 2009 AT 2:48 PM
Tiny
TIMM1954
  • 12 POSTS
Seems like it did the trick, today it was 104 and I even ideled at walmart while they shopped inside and it never died.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Sunday, July 5th, 2009 AT 8:13 PM
Tiny
TIMM1954
  • 12 POSTS
Actuall my fix was this, I cut into the airconditioner box with a 3/4" heater hose, got a rubber gromet from the help section at Oreilly's autoparts, so the water hose will fit snug into the air conditioner box.
Insulated that hose with some foam from Lowes that you use to keep you pipes from freezing in the winter. Then I took some cookie sheets and and made a tight aluminum box around the computer with a hole in the top for the hose. I had some "Eagle Shield" that they sell to put in your attic and wrapped the box 4 times to seal it up. Of corse I cut a big square where the wires plug in. Routed the hose over to the box to air condition it and bingo, problem solved. Oh and hey, be careful cutting into the air conditioner box, goes without saying, cut shallow and careful, get a look first underneath where you are cutting, it is well worth the pain now to undo the box a little. Try to cut into the cold air side if possible. (Closer to the firewall) but know where the heater door swings as not to interfere with it's operation. Not that complicated, just be careful is the point. The front of the box has not been cooled yet.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Sunday, July 5th, 2009 AT 8:25 PM
Tiny
MERLIN2021
  • MECHANIC
  • 17,250 POSTS
How about using a couple of comuter cooling fans? One blows in, other blows out?
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, July 7th, 2009 AT 7:40 AM

Please login or register to post a reply.

Sponsored links