1997 Plymouth Voyager No parking/Instrument Lights

Tiny
INTIMIDATORFAN
  • 1997 PLYMOUTH VOYAGER
  • 6 CYL
  • FWD
  • AUTOMATIC
  • 147,000 MILES
The other day when I left work all my lights worked fine. The next day, I had nothing except for head lights. When I turn on the switch, the "lights on" reminder dings, but nothings light. I replaced all the fuses, tested the switch, checked relays, did every thing I could and still cant figure it out. Is it possible that the fuse/relay box under the drivers side dash went bad? Its got power going from the switch to there, but nothing going to the dash lights or parking lights(no tail or rear lights) I did notice before this, when I opened the door, the interior light came on, shut off, and came back on after a couple seconds. Is that a sign that the unit was going bad, and why nothing is working? All fuses under the hood were checked, and replaced also. Please someone help with this. Thanks.
Monday, April 28th, 2008 AT 9:43 AM

11 Replies

Tiny
SERVICE WRITER
  • MECHANIC
  • 9,123 POSTS
The cluster it self is probably bad. If you rap on the dash over the cluster is there changes?

There is a couple solder points that go bad.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Monday, April 28th, 2008 AT 10:23 AM
Tiny
INTIMIDATORFAN
  • 10 POSTS
Would this cause the parking lamps not to work also, or just the dash lamps? Thanks for your help.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Monday, April 28th, 2008 AT 10:42 AM
Tiny
SERVICE WRITER
  • MECHANIC
  • 9,123 POSTS
Sorry, I read too quickly. The dash clusters are so common, I jumped at it. When I get home tonight I see what I can get off the diagram and post back with anything I find.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
+1
Monday, April 28th, 2008 AT 3:46 PM
Tiny
SERVICE WRITER
  • MECHANIC
  • 9,123 POSTS

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_97h_1.jpg

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_97_1.jpg

The two blue arrows go to the headlight switch.
(this is with day time running lights?...the diagrams are.

I would check for power getting to the BCM.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
+1
Tuesday, April 29th, 2008 AT 6:22 AM
Tiny
INTIMIDATORFAN
  • 10 POSTS
Would the BCM be under the drivers side dash? If so, I have power going from the switch, to where it plugs into the bottom(2 big plugs) but nothing going to the parking lamps or dash lamps. Could the BCM be bad as to why I dont have any lights? As I said, everything but these two things work. I have all wires exposed so I could test wires. This one does not have daytime running lamps, its a basic model. I really appreciate your help. Thanks again.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, April 29th, 2008 AT 9:18 AM
Tiny
SERVICE WRITER
  • MECHANIC
  • 9,123 POSTS
Did you try swapping the relay with another in the junction box? The non-drl diagram show a relay before the BCM.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, April 29th, 2008 AT 10:11 AM
Tiny
INTIMIDATORFAN
  • 10 POSTS
Do u have a diagram for n-drl? The ony relays I see are the one for the power door locks, one for the interior lights, and 2 small ones. And one for the flashers, which all work. Also, if I unplug the big plugs from the bottom, one at a time, the lights on reminder dings, and stops when I unplug it. When I turn on the headlights, I hear the relay for them clicking. I tested all the wires coming out of the "BCM", if thats what I see where all the wires come in and go out, and I dont see any that light up when I turn the switch for the parking lamp switch on, and I tested all the wires that come out, but I have power going from the switch down to the big plugs that plug into the bottom. Is there a relay I am not seeing somewhere? Thanks so much for your help.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, April 29th, 2008 AT 10:52 AM
Tiny
INTIMIDATORFAN
  • 10 POSTS
Ok, I just went out and did some more testing. Still nothing happening when I turn on the switch. I used a piece of wire with a 10 amp fuse attached, and jumped it from a constant power source, to the orange wire and my lights worked. Could it be something that happened to the BCM, because the wires coming out (upper right corner) for the headlights has power, and the headlights work. The other plug coming out (Upper left corner) where the orange wires are has nothing. Its like only half of it has power going out. How could they work when I use a jumper, but they wont when I use the switch. By the way, the power source I got is in the same plug that the wires for the dash lamps/parking lamp wires come out. How is this possible? This is really troubling. Thanks again.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, April 29th, 2008 AT 11:29 AM
Tiny
SERVICE WRITER
  • MECHANIC
  • 9,123 POSTS

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_ndlr2_1.jpg

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_ndlr1_1.jpg

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_ndlr_1.jpg

Not Junction box, power distribution box under the hood. I'm using two different information sources that are not the same...or I'm going too fast...

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_pdc_1.jpg

Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Wednesday, April 30th, 2008 AT 5:37 AM
Tiny
INTIMIDATORFAN
  • 10 POSTS
I wasnt by-passing the switch, its getting power from the switch to the junction box, just nothing going to the lights. I noticed the relay for the headlights is clicking, but I dont hear it when I turn the parking lamps on. Am I supposed to hear that one too? If so, is it the power distribution center that went bad? And does that control the instrument lights also? I just dont want to buy the wrong parts and still be stuck. Or do you recommend replacing the switch, junction box and power distribution center all at the same time?
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Wednesday, April 30th, 2008 AT 10:15 AM
Tiny
2CARPRO JACK
  • MECHANIC
  • 11,533 POSTS
Could be the BCM that is causing it. Check for ground at #85 on the park relay, should ground from BCM when lights are turned on
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Wednesday, April 30th, 2008 AT 12:37 PM

Please login or register to post a reply.

Sponsored links