SOFTWARE MISMATCH AFTER CHANGED GEARBOX

2006 Volvo S80

Computer problem
2006 Volvo S80 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 101k miles

I have a 55 reg 06 model Volvo S80 D5 SE lux and the gearbox went 'us'.
I found and attached a second hand box (from a V70 D5, Both boxes 55-50sn) Car is still in limp mode which is what it was in before removal of old box. Tried to have faultcode removed/reset at garage, but can't do so stuck at present in limp mode, specialist garage say must go to Volvo who may or may not be able to sort it ! But will definately charge a lot, more than I currently have!- No car no work!

Any ideas and does anybody know for sure wether Volvo will actually be able to fix it?

don't want to spend lots only to find they can't!
Danandrews

Volvo will definitly have the correct software to see if there is a problem. First have codes cleared to see if any come back. This may have been a controller problem from the beginning. Some scanners will do " generic" functions but cant get into specific categories so that is where the dealer comes into play

Jack42
Thanks for the speedy reply, not what I was hoping to hear, is there really no where else I can get these two lumps of metal to talk to each other, other than a volvo main dealer!

Danandrews
Unless yopu can find a Volvo specialty shop that has the software and scanner. They are expensive so not everybody gets the software for all cars

Jack42
That's how I know there is a mismatch, the specialist can't any longer reset the original fault codes and also found a new code that should not be on a car of the year mine is! - The replacement gearbox is off a V70 registered at maximum 9 months earlier! Mine was first registered in Nov 05 and the V70 was apparently registered some time between march and August 05 - both boxes are aisin warner 55-50sn boxes!

Danandrews
Installing used gearboxes on this cars is a very bad idea and you end up spending a lot more money then what you are trying to save? The transmissions may look the same but were the part numbers the same? Also what were your transmission codes? Are you actually trying to reset the codes on the transmission control module? You did not swapp out the tcm as well when you installed the used gear box?

JIS001