AUTO LOOSES POWER, WASTES GAS, RUNNI

1995 Toyota Corolla

1995 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 129000 miles

My 95 Corolla needed a new left axel a month ago. $220 and new axel solved clunking noise. It was also running rough. My Mechanic added " professional strength fuel injector cleaner" supposedly 90% proof at $9/can instead of consumer grade 2-4% product.
After one day, the engine starts to runs like a top.
Two months later, car begins to miss and not develop power when stopped at light, or parked up hill. Barely makes it to top, and except for gravity, might never get back up to speed. Gas mileage goes out the window: Less than 15 mpg and gas @$3.30 seems like $7/gal I think it's running on two cylinders, but without warning, will clear itself at 60 mph on level highway and run well for 15 miles or so.
Suddenly, or at a stop light, loss of power, and mileage suffers again. My mechanic has retired due to cancer, & can't help. I've replaced air filter, spark plugs & a fresh tank of gas. I have a fuel filter I could try to replace this weekend, as I have some limited mechanical ability. I change the 10W30 oil every 3000-4000 miles plus oil filter, but the engine uneeds another 1 quart every 1000 miles. Also, an idiot light " Check Engine" lit in the dash yesterday, but went out after 80 miles today. A burning rubber smell accompnied the first recent lack of power and the car smelled hot in the garage. What do you suggest I do? I need this car for daily 40 mile one way highway commute to work, returning AFTER MIDNIGHT! Thanks.

Timing Belt was replaced at 121K miles. So it shouldn't be a problem.
Kirk G

The rough running sounds like a sensor out of range (MAP/MAF, TPS or coolant temp). You will need to get the ECM scanned for the code. Most auto parts stors will scan the ECM for free.

The burning rubber sounds like a belt, maybe timing belt? When was the last time the timing belt was changed? If the timing belt has missing cogs it will cause the engine timing to be off and cause it to run rough (or not at all). It should be replaced every 60-70K.

Mmprince4000