WHY DOES MY DIE?

1988 Toyota Celica

Hi, I have a 1988 toyota celica gt 2.0 manual trans with 125,000 miles on it
I have had my car for a few months and everything was pretty good untill recently I was driving down the street and the car sputtered and died out I pulled off to the side of the road tried to start it and it reved up to about 1500 and then died. It did have a problem before starting up when on a slight hill but nothing like now.

I have it parked and tried to start it today it idled good for about 20 minutes then I attempted to rev it up a little hitting about 3000 and let off as I let off it died.I tried starting it again and it reved to about 1500 died down to about 1000 then died out then wouldnt start for a minuite then when I tried again after a few minutes it started shortley and died. I replaced the rotor distributor cap pluggs and wires a few weeks ago and I ran some fuel injector cleaner thrue it. This was all after it did the sputter on the hill when I tried to start it a while back. It seemed to help for a while but now its doint the sameand wgot worse I thought it might be a fuel problem so I bought a new fuel filter but when they went to replace it they said it looked new. A friend told me to try a throttle possitioning sensor but I wanted to see if you had any other ideas.

please let me know if you any idea what it could be thank you.
Pasta847

: )

Lets try checking the actual fuel pressure-then we'll go to the engine management system sensors and actuators.

Again we need the fuel operating pressure.

How do I check the fuel pressure?Is there a valve I can connect to or do I have to tap into a line? I have never had to check pressure on a car before please let me know.

Pasta847
Remove the fuel filter and connect your pressure gauge, KOEO verify readings with the book as per specifications.

I havent got a fuel pressure tester yet but I have noticed something else on the car. I removed the gas cap and it seems to have a lot of pressure in it. It makes a loud swooosh sound for about 3 seconds after the car has been ran and turned off. Is that normal or could that be a effect from the problem?

Pasta847
Lets take things one at a time-check the fuel pressure-than later we'll head on over to the Evap system.

Havent been able to check fuel pressure yet dont have tester or jack yet but I ran the codes dont know if it will help any but I got 12. Say in book it is a r.P.M signal codes 13. Says r.P.M signal. Code 43 says starter signal code 51 says swithch signal. Please let me know if that would hve nything to do with it or if im just going way off of track with this.

Pasta847
Look for spark from coil wire disconnected from the distributor

I was just starting and letting the car run then shutting it off I noticed that their would be a click, it would run good but after about a minute I would hear another click and it would die a few seconds after I had my brother listen for the fuel pump and he said after the click it would shut off. Sometimes there would be click then another it would run a little longer then another click would happen and would shut off after a few seconds again. The click souds like its comming from the back of the hatch. I also dissconnected and reconnected the connector for the pump but did not help is this the pump over heating or a relay or swich to it?

Pasta847
Find the diagnostic check connector-find the Fp and Batt terminal jump this two together, is the pump constantly running.

Also Check the pump relay

Fuel pump relay okay-check and test the mass airflow meter it powers up the pump-the blue wire.