REPLACING RIGHT CV AXLE

1996 Toyota Camry

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
1996 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

Right cv axel has been loosened from right side, lock bolt and snap ring have been removed from bearing support bracket. It should pull right out of the transaxle by now and it isn't moving. Am I missing something?
Overthetop

Yes. You need a long solid pry bar to separate the cv axle from the transmission. If you have a new cv axle, you should see an O ring clip on the shaft side which you insert it inside the transmission. The O ring metal clip is the lock so as the cv axle not to separate/ or the CV axle not from moving from it's place.

Insert the pry bar between the transmission and the CV axle, and use a slight force prying so as to separate the cv axle.

Dsplc
Im actually working on a 99 Solara, but they are the same body.

On the passenger side the intermediate bar isnt sliding out of the trans like it should. Tried prying at it but all Ive managed so far is to bend the metal flange. Removed the round clip at the intermediate-axle, but the bearing assembly seems to be stuck in the mount.

Attempted to remove the mount from the body, along with the mount for the intermediate bar from the trans. No luck.

Any ideas?

Malichi
You are right. On the passenger side axle, once you remove the lock bolt and spring clip, you should be able to remove the axle from the transmission.

I asked another mechanic and check some answers around. It is hard to remove the axle because the carrier bearing is seized inside the mount. He removed the mount that is attached to the engine block, pulled the whole axle with the mount still attached and got the bearing pressed out of the mount.

If ever you get the bearing out, put an anti-seized compund for future removal.

Dsplc
Alright, thanks, I guess I'll just continue to beat it with a hammer.

Malichi
I replaced both front axles on my 2001 Camry. I was about to give up on getting the old ones out and then learned of a device called a " slide hammer" also called an axle puller I think, that you can rent for free (by paying a refundable deposit) at Advance Auto or Autozone. It is a steel shaft with a heavy sliding weight used to jerk the axle out. It has a hook (one of many attachments included) to fit over whatever you can grab onto on the axle shaft. It will beat you to death, but it worked and I yanked both axles out with it. Good luck!

Nc01zz
Wow, ok, that helps alot NC, I appreciate it. Didnt know they made such a thing (although thinking about it I should have guessed)

I spent yesterday hammering at it, with no joy then either. Im off to autozone this afternoon.

Thanks again!

Malichi
Get your wife or girlfriend to hold the hook down on the axle (with a towel covering to protect her hand) and have her shout words of encouragement when it finally starts to move...

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/270422_DSCN4760_1.jpg

Nc01zz
Haha! Well I dont know about you NC, but I have friends who want to come over and help me work on my car. You know, that whole 'manly bonding' thing.

I havent gotten a chance to work on the car anymore or rent the ram in the last couple of days, been really busy, but I hope to accomplish this sometime next week.

Malichi
Well, got the ram, but I'm currently at an impasse.

Where am I supposed to attach the hooks/bracket? I cant attach it at the end of the transaxle, due to the intermediate bar and the uni joint. I would really not want to pull apart that uni joint...

I wish I had my engine in this state already! This is just a picture I found, but of the same engine. The highlighted part is the intermediate bar and the rest of the transaxle.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/268770_CarrierFit_1.jpg

Malichi
Circled in red is the hook attachment that worked for me.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/270422_Ram_1.jpg

Nc01zz