FLOODS AND WON'T START

2000 Saturn SL2

2000 Saturn SL2 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 40,000 miles

Similar to a recent question where the car " won't start", my mechanic is suggesting to replace the computer. They went on to say that Saturn has admitted that they have computer problems in their cars. Have you heard the same?
Our situation is as follows. In the morning, the engine will turn but not start. After a short while it will flood. The mechanics said that the computer senses a very low temperature and therefore enriches the fuel. They replaced the ambient temperature sensor, but no help. I don't know if this helps, but previous to replacing the sensor the idle would sometimes drop below 500 and occasionally stall. A couple of times I was able to get it started and then it ran fine - until the next morning.
Any suggestions are greatfully appreciated.
Hcallise

First of all thank u so much for ur donation it really helps to answer everyones questions and to keep this site going. As far as the computer they don't have a problem with them have worked for Saturn fixing cars over 16yrs an haven't replaced many of the computers in all those yrs. With the LS model body control computers they have problem with those. He is on the right track with reading too low of temp but replaced the wrong sensor sounds like u need a coolant temp sensor it's screwed into the head below where the upper hose goes on. It has two wires going to it a yellow one and a black one make sure u check the connector if it's corroded then replace the connector too. Make sure u get brass tipped sensor te plastic tipped ones crack. Make sure the engine is cold and u will loose coolant. Saturn had trouble with these sensors from 1991 till like 2001 till they changed to the brass tipped ones. There under 20 let me know what u find.

Thanks for your quick answer. I will check and let you know.

Hcallise
Thank you for using 2CarPros. Com. We appreciate your donation and look forward to helping you in the future.

2CarPros Linsey
Some good and some not so good news. The sensors were replaced. The battery leaked. It was replaced along with wires below it that the corrosion ate up. The computer was replaced with another used one. It worked. For a week. Now we have similar problems - again. I haven't figured-out what led to the following situation - but now I can start the car, it turns on, but as soon as I let go of the gas pedal (that is, let it idle) the engine dies.
I know you are not supposed to press on the gas pedal when starting it. I do press on the gas pedal as soon as the engine starts, else it will die. When I let go of the gas pedal, the engine dies. I can smell fumes as if it had been flooded. Any thought as to what I should test or observe?

Hcallise
After letting the car sit overnight, I tried to start it again and this is what happened. I started the engine, gave it a little gas for several seconds, let go and it idled ok. Smelled like rich fuel. An hour later, started the engine without giving gas and it ran nicely. An hour later started again without gas, and it would not start. Tried again with a little gas and it stayed running.
So, if it doesn't start the first time without giving it gas, then it seems to start the second time with giving a little gas. Naiive as I am, something is not regulating the flow of gas. Yes/no?

Hcallise
Its probably something to do with that acid leaking into the harness I had a car like that ran really weird and come to find that the acid got into the harness and was eating the wires up and that was skewing the semsor readings. Once the acid gets into ur harness its like a cancer and justs keeps eating away. Was the acid neautrlized with a acid neautrlizer?That could be ur problem all a long the acid is just working its way thru ur harness. Do u have any codes?Please check that for me that could really help if u do. Let me know what u find.

The harness has been replaced, so I was told. I'd better check how much of it was truly replaced.
I don't have the equipment to determine the codes. I'll have to ask the technician.

Hcallise
If u don't live in california then any auto parts store like autozone can read ur codes. Yeah once the acid gets in there I have tried to repair harness but some of them I just ha to replace the whole engine harness. Let me know what u find out.