ONLY STARTS AFTER 15 OR SO MINUTES

1915 Saturn Other

I have a 2003 Saturn Ion, 2 wheel drive, manual transmission. 50,000 miles. Over the last few months there have been a couple of times it wouldn't start, seemingly random. Over the last couple weeks it has happened more frequently. It only happens when I have recently turned OFF the ignition. If I wait at least 15 minutes or more it seems to start fine. Although if I don't drive far, turn it off and try it again it seems fine. Basically it is as if something is overheating (although the gauge does not show this). A friend said it may be the started solenoid is overheating? Could this be true? Is it possible to replace this without having to get a whole new starter?
Thanks!
CEZ
Cez

I have a 2004 ion about the same milege. Same thing happened to me. It is the starter switch. The original part is defective but has not been recalled by Saturn. They will replace the part at your expense, with a new switch that has been modified. Make sure you tell them that you know this is a common Ion problem, I got 40% off the repair.

Snailtroll