SERVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT

2002 Saturn L300

Computer problem
2002 Saturn L300 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 60000 miles

My service engine soon light came on, but I can not find any problems with the system. I have not yet check for a error code, but would like to reset the light and see if it comes back on. Can this been done? I have tightened some connection and found the check value in the gas cap stuck.
Rfconsuling

Hi, I am sorry you cannot reset the light without a scanner, please go to this page to check it out

http://www.2carpros.com/dia/how_to_scan_trouble_codes.htm

let me know what code it is,, if you clear the light, it will probably come back on again.

2CarPros Ken
I reset the light by just disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes and then connecting it.

The light went out and has stayed out for the past few days. So I am assuming the gas cap check valve was the problem.

Rfconsuling
Could have been the gas cap, please let me know fi the light comes back on again.

2CarPros Ken
My service engine light came on and my car began lurching when it changed gears. I took it to my local dealer who suggested I put in a new transmission. That didn't solve the problem. The dealership then put in a new valve block. That didn't solve the problem either. Now, after my car has been at the dealership for 21 days, they're telling me there were some computer updates that hadn't been done to my car previous to me owning it that was causing the problem. I'm supposed to get my car back this afternoon, so we'll see. How are we as car owners supposed to know when a computer update should be done or is necessary? If this would have been done timely, I don't imagine I would have needed a several thousand dollar transmission.

Lisalisa66619
Hi, yes, sometimes the dealer misses the problem. Very unfortunate, the computer could be the problem. The dealer is the only place you can check for factory updates. Check this page for more information on what could be causing the problem.

http://www.2carpros.com/first_things/car_surges.htm

please let me know how it goes. :-)

2CarPros Ken