NO APPARENT COMPRESSION

1996 Rover 4 Series

1996 Rover 4 Series 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 105000 miles

SMOKE CAME OUT FROM UNDER DASHBOARD WHILST DRIVING AT FIRST I THOUGHT FIRE SO PUT INTO NEUTRAL AND SWITCHED OFF ENGINE, WHEN I STOPPED I NOTICED THE TEMP GUAGE WAS THROUGH THE RED SO IT COULD HAVE BEEN STEAM WHEN IT COOLED DOWN I REFILLED WITH WATER AND TURNED IT OVER TOTALLY DIFFERENT SOUND FOR A DIESEL AND IT WOULD NOT START, TOLD I HAD CRACKED HEAD OR BLOWN GASKET, TOOK OFF HEAD EVERYTHING SEEMS FINE AND SURPRISINGLY CLEAN REPLACED GASKET TURNED IT OVER STILL NO FIRING AND STILL SOUNDS THE SAME LIKE A PETROL ENGINE BEING TURNED OVER WITH THE PLUGS OUT, NO COMPRESSION DO U THINK THE TIMING BELT COULD HAVE SLIPPED A NOTCH OR TWO
Zedhead

Hi there,

You will need to do a comp test and post the readings, if they are very low, check valve clearances and do a leak down test as you may have cooked the piston rings, when they get over hot as you have described they can loose there tension and a loss of compression will result.

Mhpautos