CAR WON'T START WITH START FLUID.

1989 Pontiac Trans Am

1989 Pontiac Trans Am V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 90,000 miles

Hi. I'm asking this question for a friend of mine who doesn't own a computer.
His 1989 TransAm (305 TBI engine) won't start without a shot of starter fluid. Once it's running it runs fine. He's changed spark plugs, wires and the computer and is now wondering what he can do next. Being it runs we don't feel it's the fuel pump or anything spark related. Any ideas?
Curt
DF_Curt

Do you hear the fuel pump come on for 2 seconds? If not, check the fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay, then report back with some testing results.

He tells me that you can't hear the pump run when you turn the key and there seems to be no fuel spraying into the carbs prior to cranking.
Curt

DF_Curt
If the fuel pump is not coming On-Check and test the fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay

OK folks. He got it fixed. Here's the story. My friend took the car to a repair shop. Seems at one point they (the shop) had 3 mechanics working on it. The check fuses, pumps etc for anything that usually causes this kind of problem. But during one attempt one of the mechanics was in the car getting ready for another attempt at starting it. Up to this point they couldn't get the injectors to pulse (the priming squirts that stray during the cranking stage of starting) during cranking. While turning the key the mechanic tilted the steering wheel up (or down) and during the tilting motion the injectors began to work. Seems there was a broken wire within the steering column that connected to the injectors somehow that caused the injectors to work during the starting (cranking) stage of starting the car.
The fix was to replace the key switch and wires running down the steering column. No problems with the car since the repair. Help I explained the repair enough for everyone so that it made sense.
Curt

DF_Curt