BRAKE PAD ANS WHEEL CYLINDER PROBLEM

1999 Plymouth Breeze

Brakes problem
1999 Plymouth Breeze 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 112000 miles

I recently replaced the rear brake shoes on my daughter's 99 plymouth breeze. I replaced drums, shoes and passenger side wheel cylinder. 3 months later the passenger wheel cylinder and shoes are both shot again. I don't see a proportioning valve. It does have anti-lock brakes, but, my haynes repair guide didn't give any special instructions. The brakes work well. It doesn't pull or chatter and the e-brake works. I saw another post on here with the same problem. What am I missing?
Bradm2

Hi bradm2. Welcome to the forum. What does " shot" mean? If it looks like the shoes overheated, check the metal bracket that is crimped around the rubber brake hose. Rust buildup inside the crimp constricts the hose preventing the fluid pressure from releasing. Open the crimp a little with a large pliers.

" shot" means no pad left on the trailing shoe and leading shoe almost gone. As to the wheel cylinder it means that it has come completely apart. Again. I am guessing the cylinder issue is due to the extreme wear on the shoes. I will check for the crimped line tonight. Is there anything else that could cause this?

Bradm2
There's only two ways a wheel cylinder can blow apart. One is if it physically turned. That is a huge GM problem with clipped-on wheel cylinders on their rear-wheel-drive cars. There is an updated backing plate for that problem. The other way would involve a combination of worn linings, shoes not adjusted up, and a drum that is worn or was machined well over the published legal limit. A sticking parking brake cable can prevent the automatic adjuster from doing its job but you will also typically have a lower than normal pedal. Also check for grooves worn in the six " lands" on the backing plate that the shoes ride on. They should be lubed with high-temperature brake grease when the shoes are replaced. If those grooves are deep enough, they can prevent the shoes from applying or releasing properly. Often you will feel the brake pedal suddenly drop just a little when a caught shoe pops over the grooves. Shoes catching on the grooves will also adversely affect the automatic adjusting.