STALLS

2002 Nissan Xterra

2002 Nissan Xterra 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 110000 miles

Last night I put $30 of gas into my Xterra (about 9 gallons of gas). I was almost to the point where the low fuel light would come on. After driving about 5 miles my Xterra stalled while waiting for a stop light. It did it again a few more times on the way home. This morning I put it into the shop and they ran tests and came up with nothing. But since it had 110,000 miles on it I had them do a tune up, replace the fuel filter and 3 belts. None of this had been done before today. After getting the Xterra back, I am still stalling some but not everytime I come to a stop. It will also stall sitting in the driveway and in park if I let it run for awhile sitting there. The rpms are about 900, just under 1000 and after a couple minutes it will drop first to about 500 then stalls. The mechanic said I could have water in the gas I got because before I put that gas in, it had never had a problem. Also while I was gasing up I notice a tanker refilling the station's tanks. He told me to put in some gumout fuel cleaner to dry up the water. Well I have put that in then filled up the gas tank. I drove about 40 miles tonight but still once in awhile it wants to stall. It does restart everytime with no problem. I am thinking either the mechanic is right that I got some bad gas or maybe something else is wrong. It is just weird that it started just after I got gas. I am now wondering if I should take it to the dealer instead of my mechanic or just wait to burn up this tank of gas and refill.
Jrculp

I have a 2000 xterra and am having the exact same problem. Can't remember when the problem started though in regards to getting my last gas. The first time the car stalled it started to shake. It's with a mechanic now and he's stumped as to what's wrong.

Jara56