2001 Nissan Maxima

Other Category problem
2001 Nissan Maxima 6 cyl Wheel Drive Type unknown Automatic 99800 miles

First, I'm wondering how many catalytic converters are on my 2001 Nissan Maxima? I have been told there are two by one mechanic and three by another. I have been told that they need to be replaced. Do I need them ALL replaced? How does a mechanic check to see which one may be giving me problems? My car seems to be bogged down when trying to accelerate, sometimes it won't speed up at all when I press the gas pedal completely to the floor. This is especially the case when my car is still cold or when trying to climb hills.

Thank you.

I belive there are two on your vehicle. They can be found out if they are bad by a digital pyrometer, or by the o2 sensors located after the catalytic converter.

Or he may decide to hook up a vaccum guage and idle the car at 2500 rpm's for a few minutes and if the accellerator is constantly being pushed to maintain the rpm's or the vaccuum slowly but steadily goes down, then you have a restricted catalytic converter.