NISSAN MAXIMA STARTER PROBLEM

2000 Nissan Maxima

2000 Nissan Maxima 92000 miles

I had my car for about 5 years and I haven't been having any problems until about a month ago when it would not start but I waited for about 5 minutes and it started back. I had another problem when (I think) someone put bad gas in the car and it jurks. But other than that, I haven't been having problems. But I let someone borrow my car and when they went to start it up and would not start. THey thought it was the battery but it wasn't. ALl the lights will come on in the car. When trying to start it, it just makes a clicking noise. It will not start. It has been sitting for an entire day. I tried to start it again but it would not start. Can anyone help me please.
Prettyebonyx1

When trying to start it, it just makes a clicking noise. It will not start.

Battery could be weak or connection problem, could be the alternator is not putting out-or something is draining the battery to go low-

It sounds as if the starter motor gone bad
check oil level
check fuses
locate starter at rear of engine and check if u have power on small wire while a helper trying to start and if so starter no good need a new starter

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_untitled_2.jpg

BMRFIXIT
Okay, but it's not the battery because we tried like 3 different batteries, new and old but it wouldn't work. All the lights are working fine but it's just making a clicking noise. And it still will not start. I don't think it's the battery. Any other suggestion. Please say yes. I receive one answer from someone but just trying to see if its the same answer. Thanks alot. Hope to hear from you again

Prettyebonyx1
Like BMR stated could be the starter itself if not start checking the ignition switch, park and neutral if its AT and clutch switch if Manual, starter relay.

Thanks so much
My boyfriend is about to check the starter if he every finds it. LOL I didn't understand the last part about checking the ignition switch, park it in neutral but I didn't understand the rest. Will you please let me know what you mean when you started takling about the ignition switch. THanks I really need as much help as possible.

Prettyebonyx1
Is this an automatic or manual transmission? If the ignition switch has a burned contact on the start position it will not power the starter solenoid therefore no cranking will occur-

I am so sorry to continue bothering you guys but we have tried tapping on the starter and its not doing anything. Not fire from the starter or anything like that. Could it be that the starter is completly gone. Or could it be another problem. Thanks so much guys. How do you know when the starter is gone.

Prettyebonyx1
Find the small black and red wire at the starter, have helper hold key at cranking position-Do you have power if so the starter is gone.

Its an automatic. This is getting crazy and I hate to keep bothering you guys. My boyfriend said they tapped on the starter and whenthey did that all the lights on the dashboard went out. And it didn't start. I'm getting so frustrated right now. But I hope I keep getting get help like I am. Thanks to everyone

Prettyebonyx1
Do my last respond and then comeback-I need to know if it has power on the small black and red wire at the starter