HUGE, SUDDEN OIL LEAK

1998 Nissan Altima

1998 Nissan Altima 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 136 miles

I have a 98 Nissan Altima with around 135,000 miles on it. The car ran perfectly fine one day, then developed a major oil leak the next. The oil seemed to be leaking onto the serpentine belt on the side of the engine. The belts then sprayed the oil everywhere else. It would leak out four quarts in a matter of minutes. This is a big problem because this is the only vehicle I had to rely on. I have read that it may be a gasket or seal of some sort but I am not too sure. I was wondering if you could determine what the problem may be and how I would go about repairing the situation.
Jmartinez56

Ok sounds like it may be the front crank shaft seal leaking. Now what I would do is clean the front of the engine. Then get a thing of oil die and find a shop that can use a UV light to check to see where the leak is coming from. Let me know how it goes.

Racefan966
Ok well I changed out the front crankshaft seal. Reinstalled the drive belts and etc. There is still a major leak coming from the area where the drivebelts are at. I am not sure if maybe I did not install it correctly but there is definitely still a large leak there. It actually seems to be coming from above where the front seal is located. A friend that often works on cars suggested that it may be a leak coming from the timing chain cover? Any suggestions?

Jmartinez56
Yes it could be timing cover or the valve cover or? This is why I said it would be best to buy a little bottle of oil die from you local parts store and find a shop that will use a black light to detect it. Also clean the front of the engine before doing this. If it will help include a pic and maybe I can see something that is being missed.

Racefan966