COOLANT & OIL LEAKS

1995 Mercury Tracer

1995 Mercury Tracer 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 84,000 miles

Hi all:

I have two problems with my Tracer.

First, about 2 years ago my mechanic found a small coolant leak at the rear of the head gasket block. There was not any coolant on the floor because the fluid would evaporate on the hot block before reaching the floor. Instead of having a mechanic replace the gasket, will after market products seal the leak?

Second, I have a small oil leak that started about August 2008, right after the timing chain was replaced. Using a mirror and flashlight, I can see that the automatic transaxle bolts toward the front of the auto are wet. I have also smelled a burned rubber odor after the car is stopped and the engine is turned off, but the serpentine belt is dry. After a few miles, 7 or so, a wispy white smoke is seen coming out from under the hood, after the vehicle is parked. Considering that the bolts toward the front of the auto are wet, but toward the rear they are dry, I don't think oil is splattered from another source. I did see oil collecting on the auto transmission cover at the front passanger side.

These two problems could be interrelated. Before my mechanic replaces all the gaskets at perhaps over $1,000.00 are there any other prescriptions? My Tracer is a 1995 with 84,000 miles. I have been diligent to do the majority of the required maintenance and do not "push" the vehicles hard.

Thanks for your input
Tracer33415

1. Block seal may work sometimes. But for many leaks, it is as if like putting a Band-Aid to stop bleeding.

2. You are mistaken when you said your timing chain replacement. You engine is driven via a timing belt, not chain. Also, your transmission pan is on the driver side, not passenger side.

If the oil leak is on the passenger side, that is your oil pan. You may need to replace the oil pan gasket (if the gasket is the problem). Usually the camshaft or crankshaft seals are the culprit in this engine. The white smoke you see is just the oil burning on the hot block. You fix the leak, and clean off the engine bay, you won't have the problem anymore.

Zackman