FUSE KEEPS POPPING

Mercury Cougar

The fuse that controls the headlights and dashboard lights keeps popping on my 99 Mercury Cougar, 110000 miles. An after market stereo was installed (poorly) by the previous owner. I have taped up all the exposed wires, but it still does this. There seems to be no set pattern. It can pop after 2 seconds or take weeks. The last time it was fine for two months and I thougth I had it fixed. Any suggestions?
Miki001me

I have the same problem in my 84 Grand Marquis. I believe it has something to do with the way ford/mercury series their fuses. This is the only car ive owned that has this problem.

Merccruiser
I had that problem and just finally took it in dont do what I did and put in a bigger fuse. Cost me lots more in the long run : (

Halfcalf1979
The car has a short, if you don't know how to trace shorts, either scrap the car or take it to a qualified guy!

Merlin2021
Have you guys unplugged the connector to the light switch and looked at it? Try it!

Merlin2021
Make sure the radio installer didn't put the radio on the light cicuit!

Merlin2021