BRAKE LOCK UP

1990 Lincoln Mark VII

Brakes problem
1990 Lincoln Mark VII V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

After driving and using the brake on a stop and go the pedal gets harder and harded then I have to stop turn the engine off and pump the brakes to bleed the pressure off, some times it works and sometimes not good enough, park it for a night and its fine until you get back in the stop and go. Brakes are locking because you can smell it.
Atom987

The brake caliper pistons might not retracting due to corrosion or a problem with the ABS unit

Thank

Atom987
Yeah, allot of those old Fords/Lincolns still have those phenolic brake caliper pistons in them. And in my opinion are trash. Replacing them with a good old tried & trued metal piston will be better in the long run.

Your problem may also be the brake booster staying on all the time. The problem could be a sticking relay or a bad pressure switch. To test if its a bad pressure switch, look over on the drivers side facing the last plug. You should see a 5 wire plug(if my memory serves me right). If the pressure switch is sticking in the on position, you should be able to disconnect that plug and the motor should stop. If it does finally stop, the pressure switch is bad and needs replacement. If it doens't make any difference, try the relay the same way. I believe the relay is on the firewall on the same side. From what I hear, Ford does not make these parts anymore, so you may have to call around for an aftermarket replacement.

Good luck.

BLUECOLLAR