POWER STEERING LEAK

1996 Lexus ES 300

Steering problem
1996 Lexus ES 300 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 148000 miles

Hi guys,

I slowly noticed a small spot on my driveway that I guess has been slowly enlarging to about 4" in diameter over the last 3 months. I bought the car 3 months ago (Oct 20, 2008).

The power steering fluid resivoir is down about 1/8th of an inch.

I felt slightly reddish substance on the driveway and decided the small leak was directly underneath the power steering fluid resivoir on the undercarriage and driveway.

I want to use a "Stop Leak" power steering fluid product, but read that the seals expand when you use it, and that's how it stops (or slows) the leak.

Will I "really" hurt my car if I use this kind of product?

I'm on disability and can't afford a serious ($) repair.

Thanks for your help!

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/305519_driveway_spot_2.jpg

Tennis333

I understand your situation, but I dont suggest using stop leak products. If it is on the resevoir, which is the low pressure side, check the clamps fo the hoses, you may be able to repair it with a simple clamp. Anything that chnages the integrity of the seals will eventually effect performance

Jack42
Had the same problem on my 98 ES300. It turned out to be a leaky/rusted line. Started out as a small leak front pass side and eventually was leaking about a quart every 200 miles. Had to remove the steel guard/plate under the front to find it but it was the low pressure return line rusted right thru. Beats the $430 for a rebuilt rack or $300 for a new pump (parts only no labor) cost me $5 in rubber hose and 2 clamps, cut out the rusted section with dremmil and spliced in new hose.

They wanted $100 for the OEM part.

Good luck!

Tzchris
Just some additional information about power steering hose leaks.

I have a slight leak with my 1996 ES 300 and the dealer said it was really not a problem yet.

The estimate to fix the hose was $500 at portland lexus.

Mylexus