HEADLIGHTS NOT WORKING

1996 Jeep Cherokee

1996 Jeep Cherokee V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 165000 miles

Recently my battery has been dead. After I charge the battery fully, the headlights will not turn on when switch is in automatic or on position. The headlights will operate with the dimmer/turn signal switch pulled. When dimmer switch is returned to normal position, headlights go out. Recently I have had to drive home in the evening holding the headlights switch back on high beams to have lights. What could be the problem.
Shadetreemechanic44

Have you checked the low beam light bulbs? Often times I have customers that think they have a wiring problem but its just bulbs. If the lights are ok, I will walk you through diagnosing the electrical problem. Get back to me.

Mastertechtim
I have checked the power at the headlights with the switch in the on position and the plug removed from the headlight I checked all terminals to ground with a volt meter and had no voltage at the light connector plug.

Shadetreemechanic44
Ok I just researched the wiring schematic and I found that your problem is the headlight switch. Its cut and dry that the problem is the switch and not a wiring problem. Hope this helps.

Mastertechtim

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/139033_hd_1.jpg

Mastertechtim