STARTER PROBLEMS AND BATTEY

1999 Infiniti G20

1999 Infiniti G20 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 40000 miles

hi ok so my car is an infiniti g20 1999. I recently replaced the battery about 6 months ago. And the starter about 4 months ago. And about 2 days ago my car was having a hard time starting so I bought a new battery thinking that was the problem. But it still was putting in alot of effort to start. Then that night when I tried to start the cr it wouldnt start.

so I went and got a new starter. And had someone put it in for me. We got it started at first but now if you turn on the car and turn off the car the gear in the starter is still spinning.
and without putting the key in the ignition if I hook up the battery the gear spins on its own. I have no idea what else it could be. My problem is similar to somone elses question but its weird how the gear spins when the car isnt even on. Can u help me?
Tnakamori

Sounds like you're using used starters. If it is the little silver Nippendenso starter, they commonly develop worn solenoid contacts. Usually that results in an intermittent kind of loud clunk from the starter but it won't spin. Repeatedly cycling the ignition switch from " run" to " crank" will eventually get it to crank. Sometimes the plunger contact gets wedged between the worn away spots in the contacts. That happened once on my Grand Caravan. Had to pop the solenoid cover off and pry the plunger loose.

The contacts can be replaced for 20 bucks, but most people just replace the entire starter. Used starters are very likely to have he same worn contacts.

Did you find an answer to your problem? Oddly enough this is exactly what is happening to my 2000 G20 with 105k miles.
Started to crank slow. I replaced the battery, no change. Starter failed, had car towed and a new starter installed. Got it home, the next time I tryed to start the starter just spun after the key was turned off untill it smoked and burnt out. Probably about 3 minutes. Took the car back to repair shop, they replaced the starter. Got it home again. Same thiing. Starter spins without the key.
You mentioned in your questions you problem was similar to someone else. Where did you see that problem? Did they have any other insight? Nobody seems to know what the problem is.

Jamesnak