TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS

2001 Hyundai Tiburon

2001 Hyundai Tiburon 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

Two months (5,000 miles ago) auto transmission started shifting rough from 1st to 2nd, and 3rd to 4th when cold. Dearer stated that we needed to replace the kick down switch and a pulse generator after running a computer test. Competed, no improvement. Continue to drive with transmission banging into gears. Even after its been warmed up transmission would bang and get stuck in 3rd gear. Today reverse stopped working; however still able to go forward. When I move the gear selector, the transmission feels like it ingauged but not able to move the car evan after giving excess gas.

Is it possible additional parts need to be replaced? Or is the transmission shot?

Transmission flush was done about 10,000 miles prior. At that time no transmission issues. After a fluid check, no smell or burnt color.
Skykandie

Hi skykandie,

Thank you for the donation.

Symptom description indicates the transmission is most likely faulty and requires a rebuild or replacement.

When reverse is engaged, a clutch is either not holding or holding when it should be free and this has resulted in the gears binding. When you accelerate, the rpm would be stalling at around 3000 rpm or lower.

Whatever it is, the trans is going into limp mode. Get the trouble codes retrieved and let me know the EXACT code so we can get more information to understand what could be wrong.

The original code error was P0734 and P0731.

Today - P0734 Gear 4 incorrect Ratio

When in reverse the car will rev over 5,000 without any signs that the engine has any load. It does not stall.

Skykandie
P0731 = 1st gear system malfunction.

P0734 = 4th gear malfunction.

Check your email for the diagnotic files.