RUNNING HOT, THERMOSTAT HAS BEEN REPLACE

2005 Honda Element

Engine Cooling problem
2005 Honda Element 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 90000 miles

Honda Element has been running hot for about a month. Had the thermostat replaced about 3 weeks ago and still the same thing is happening. It doesn't matter if we are stopped, driving, have the heat on, have the air conditioning on: the temperture goes from normal to almost in the red, then for no reason will come back down to normal or somewhere in between. It will do this for the entire trip no matter how short or how long. It will go up and down, sometimes it will stay somewhere for a while but then will move either up or down again. Both fans seem to work but I'm not sure they are coming on at the correct time. Also when the car gets to hot the air conditioning will not cool properly but as the temperture comes back down, it will cool correctly.
Any advice? Thanks in advance.
Robb_0909

Hi robb_0909,

Is the coolant level in the radiator constant or is it depleting?

Was bleeding of the system done correctly?

If all seems well, then you need to check the water pump, it could be weak.

The level does seem to be depleting but very slowly, I put some in when I first noticed it about 3-4 weeks ago and have not put any in since. It is about 2-3 inches below the max level which is where I put it when I filled it up.

As for the bleeding, I do not know if it was done correctly, a mechanic replaced the thermostat.

Thanks for responding.

Robb_0909
When the engine is cold, remove the radiator cap and check the coolant level. If level is correct, check if the cooling fans are turning on, at least they should work with the AC turned ON.

Should the fans run all the time when the AC is on? I will check next time but I do not think they are on all the time the AC is on.

I have checked before when the engine is running hot (about 3/4 of the way to the red) and the fans where not on. I have also checked it before and the fans are running. What tells the fans to come on?

Again, thanks for your help.

Robb_0909
The fans should be running as long as the compressor is working.

The radiator fan switch ( located at bottom rear of radiator) tells the fan motor when to turn on.

Unplug the connector and bridge it, turning ignition on should have the fans working.