HIGH RPMS

1995 Honda Del Sol

1995 Honda Del Sol 4 cyl Manual

I have a 95 Honda Del sol and during the summer I dont seem to have any problems but during the winter its a hole nother ball game. Its very hard to start (takes about 5 minutes to get it to even catch). When it gets to the point where its trying to catch (which is after the 5 minutes) it idles really low (100-200rpms) and sounds like its gargling for about 10-20 seconds and then dies. Then I crank again and it starts, goes to about 3500 rpms before it dies again. Finally I start it again and the rpms go all the way up to the red zone around 7-8000 rpms. I usually have to cut it off to let it go back down. If it idles below the red zone Ill let it run to try to warm up although it overheats because of the high idling. If I go ahead and start driving it I have to push the brake to keep from barking every gear. When I push in the clutch rpms shoot up to 6, 7, and, 8000 rpms. It overheats now and the idle wont go anylower no matter what I do. Its now sitting parked for the winter cause I dont know what to do and cant drive anywhere cause of it idling so high like its going to blow up. Please help im going crazy
Kattibaby

I would check to make sure the throttle cable and/or plate is not sticking open. A throttle body, as well as a IACV/FITV service might be a good place to start.

F4I_guy
I have had the same problem with my 1993 honda del sol with a high performance engine application. Id check and/or replace the main fuel relay. Your problems were the exact same down to rpms and dying after trying to run at a couple hundred rpms. I did check everything else let alone replaced everything external of the engine but my guess is the main fuel relay if u havent fixed it yet.

Delslowtofast