CLACKING NOIZE FROM REAR OF CAR

2003 Honda CRV

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
2003 Honda CRV 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 85000 miles

When braking I get a clacking noise from the rear end. The brakes are fine so I think it could be the cv joints on one side or the other. No way to tell without opening up the boots. Is the clacking a symptom of bad cv joints. The axels with joints rebuilt are only $90.00 and looks pretty straight forward to replace them. Anything I should know would be helpfull. Thanks, Doug
Douglasrivay

Hi Doug,

Without proper diagnosis it is difficult to confirm if the noise is from the CV joints.

Is there any other abnormal noises when driving? CV joints should emit some noise during U- turns if they are faulty and not when braking.

You should check the brakes and its component first, it could be the rotor.

After further testing I think it is the brakes I pulled them apart again and lubed the ereas where the the pads slide on the caliper brackets again and for now the noise is gone. The honda dealer said that the rear brakes on these vehicles have had a history of repairs and that when I installed the last set of pads I should smooth the edges of the pads where they slide on the brackets. That is what they do. Any other ideas would be appreciated. Doug

Douglasrivay