TICKING NOISE

2003 Honda CRV • 4 cylinder • 49,000 miles

I have a 2003 Honda CRV with 49,000 miles. Yesterday and today when I turned the engine off I hear a ticking/clicking noise coming from under the car near the muffler/tailpipe. It keeps clicking for about 5 minutes after shutting off the engine. Any ideas as to what the problem is?
Bulldogbud

That's hot exhaust pipes cooling down and is quite common.

Thanks for the quick response. Sounds like I have little to worry about. Still, why would it now start up so suddenly? The outside temperature has been in the 60s so, not too cold and not to hot.

Bulldogbud
Things change over time. Sections of pipe become weak from rust. Rubber hangers become weak and let the pipes sag a little. Spot welds break apart and let parts move as they heat up and cool down, etc. You'll hear it creak more or less when you push on the tail pipe. Some cars used to make that noise when they were new. And, ... You're right; you don't have anything to worry about.

Thanks again.

Bulldogbud