INTERMITTENTLY WON'T TURN OVER AND START

Honda Civic

I have an 89 Civic with 175K. One morning it started up just fine and then when I stopped at the convenience store 3 min down the road it would no longer start and it didn't turn over. Attempts to jump start it failed. The dash lights, radio, etc. Still came on. I took it to a shop and they replaced the alternator and mentioned my battery was only ok. I took it home, next morning it wouldn't turn over again. I attempted to jump it without luck and the mechanic from the shop drove over with his jump box and on his third try finally got it jumped. That night I took it in and the battery tested good. The car started fine for two days and then yesterday evening it decided to not turnover again. Thoughts?

Thank You
Wormburner40

People confuse me with their use of " turnover" and I assume that means the car engine turns with the starter but it does not catch and run. I would check the EFI relay. Electronic Fuel Injection relay under the dash on the driver side.

Bruce Hunt
By turnover I mean that when the key is turned nothing happens except a few of the dash lights go on which is normal. Engine makes no sound and you can't hear it cranking. Hopefully that helps. If that is the same assumption you were working with sorry.

Wormburner40
Your problem could be as simple as a bad connection at the battery terminal. I would make sure they are clean as in brushed with a terminal cleaner and tightened down snuggly. If the terminals are not in good shape replace them. Make sure the grounds are all clean and tight. Follow the positive battery cable and check connections to the starter. After that it is a thought to have the starter checked out.

Bruce Hunt