HESITATION AT LOW RPMS

1997 Honda Civic

I am getting a very slight hesitation (jerkiness), almost a misfire but I wouldn't say it was that severe. I gave the car a tune up and it didn't fix the problem. The hesitation occurs at low RPM and sometimes only once or multiple times as I accelerate. Once I reach speed it stops. It also occurs when the motor is under load. Is this a typical distributor problem, or could it be something else, clutch slipping, MAP Sensor problem, etc. I am taking it to a Honda dealer but want to have a heads up on some of the responses I might get from the dealer mechanic.

Ran Raider
W003rer

The very first thing I suspect is the plug wires. That is the very problem that surfaces with a bad set of wires. Try switching with another to check or replace them.

Bruce Hunt
I have a similiar problem with my honda civic also an it only has 72000 miles what did the dealer say because I am taking my car to the dealers also.

Kwong
Pull out your spark plugs to see if they are fowled up at all if so then your running to rich if they are black and to lean if they if they are white. You can fix alot of problems by looking at your spark plugs. They give you an idea of whats going on inside your motor. Check them and write back

94bowden
I have a 99 Civic with the same exact problem. The car died upon acceleration mid-intersection. Turned out that the ignition coil had burnt out, literally. After replacing, the car started again but the hesitation/misfire problem was noticed for the first time. I replaced the cap and wires. The plugs look good. The problem is still there, but usually only occurs after the engine warms up. Any advice would be appreciated.

Jayt