CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

Honda Accord

I have 1999 Honda Accord LX 4 cyclinder, manual with 91000 miles. My check engine light came on, and I found a mechanic with the machine to check, at first the code indicated oxy-sensor (the front one), and we replace it with non-dealer part, then the code shows system lean and we replace the EGR valve, the light went away for 24 hours then came back on. Then we replace the sensor with the the Honda part and the light went away/ now after 3 days, the light came back on and when I drive in neutral sometime the car shut off b/c the idle speed got really low/ so right now I unplug the battery and the light will go off for a few days, and when it come back on I have the same problem with the idle speed. What do I do now? Dealer suggest fuel pressure regulator but no gaurantee. Please help

Tune up was done when I replace the sensor, replace the spark plugs, timing belt and I think they did somethign with the fuel injector. Not surre
Benh

When was the last major tune-up?

Check the spark plugs, fuel injector, vacuum leak and compression.

I use a diagnostic tool called CarMD. It will pretty much tell you whatever is wrong with your car as long as it is a 1996 or newer. It costs about $90 and it plugs into the On-Board Diagnostics (OBD-II) port. Very easy to use.

DiagnosticToolDave
Was the code actually for an oxygen sensor or was it for a lean problem? I'm betting it was for a lean problem. Probably p0171 bank 1 too lean.

If so honda has a tsb for this and a repair kit. The fuel pressure regulator is to blame.

For the life of me I can't understand why people are constantly throwing o2 sensors at rich and lean problems.

Lostinmars