FUEL SYSTEM CLEANING CAUSES CHECK ENGINE LIGHT TO COME ON?

Honda Accord

I have a 2000 Honda Accord V6. Approx 105,000 miles.

Car had just started starting rough and idling weird when changing gears. We took it in immediately and mechanic said we need a full fuel system cleaning. They thought it was the EGR system failing. So they did that and within 5 days the check engine light came on. Note, the light had never come on before. Now they say that the cleaning caused the intake to be clogged which is why the light is on. Is that possible? Why would cleaning it cause something else to be clogged?
Bladidivach12345

Hello !!
Scan your ECM and let us Know the Codes you got.

Here a Helpful how to:

http://www.2carpros.com/dia/index.htm

let us Know!

Fisherman
Thanks Fisherman. I'll ask the mechanic for the codes and let you know.

But is it even possible to have the intake manifold clog up after performing a fuel cleaning service?

Bladidivach12345
No, it make no sense, That`s why we are going to start the troubleshooting with the " codes" you got.

I`ll wait for your answer!

Good Luck!

Fisherman

I`ll wait for your answer!

Good Luck![/Quote: 2660f5846b]

Ok. They said the code is P0401 (not sure if those are zeroes or o's).

They were also saying that it is the upper intake valve that would have to be removed and cleaned. Apparently their " fuel cleaning service" was only flushing the lines with some cleaner. But it still makes no sense how using a cleaner fluid that is supposed to " clean" your fuel system ends up causeing the upper intake valve to clog.

Bladidivach12345
Hello !!
well that code means:
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Insufficient Flow

this is the diagram of the egr (courtesy of Mitchel1:

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/576_honda_200_egr_1.jpg

looks to me like they didn`t remove the egr to clean it because the ECM its detecting an insuficient flow which means its "blocked" or not opening completely...

also if they said: "upper intake valve " probably they mean EGR i dont know wich valve they are talking about...

Anyhow make them fix your car right !

if they "leave" some carbon to fall off on your intake or if they didn`t fix it right it`s their fault..

let me know if you need more assistance !!

( BTW Thanks a Lot For your donation ! )

Good Luck!

Fisherman
I suspect in the process of cleaning deposits were knocked loose and could be plugging a port in the intake plenum. Once cleaned I would venture the problem disappears. You will need to then reset the code and hopefully that will rectify your problem.

Bruce Hunt
Thanks Fisherman. I think I meant intake manifold. If I save money by having the knowledge to make them fix their mistake, I'm more than happy to make a donation. : -)

Bladidivach12345
Anytime !

I Hope You get it fix!

Good Luck!

Fisherman
Thanks Bruce. If that is the case, were there no measures they could have taken to prevent that I think they are implying that to clean that intake port I'm going to have to pay a lot more money. Shouldn't they be on the hook for that since their actions caused the problem?

Bladidivach12345
I posted about this before.

Honda has a tsb on this problem. I doubt it was the shop's fault, probably poor timing and a lack of knowledge of this car on their part.

The egr passage in the upper intake gets clogged solid with carbon. The upper intake needs to be removed and the port actually drilled out with a special bit that honda sells. After the port is drilled out (it makes it bigger as well) honda supplies, via an updated egr kit, a sleeve for the port. The kit also comes with a new egr valve. The kit costs about $85 iirc. Most honda dealer will have it in stock. The drill bit isn't included, you have to buy that separate.

Lostinmars