TRANSMISSION SLIPS ONLY IN COLD WEATHER

1998 Honda Accord

1998 Honda Accord 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 146000 miles

I have a 1998 honda accord v6 and my transmission slips only in cold weather in the morning and when the car warms up it runs perfect. It only slips in first gear like it revs up high then it grabs and jerks real hard. The car also jerks real hard when I come to a stop but when the car warms up its smooth. I just had the tranny rebuild and it is doing the same thing.

Just wondering what else could it be and what other components would affect the transmission?

Also what does a transmission solenoid do?
Terryle00

Hi terryle00,

Thank you for the donation.

Intermittent erratic shifting are usually due to solenoids and/or transmission fluid.

Was the transmission fluid used of the correct specifications?

Do you have any trouble codes?

The solenoids are for controlling the flow of fluids and is used as a switch to close or open fluid passages. If they do not operate correctly, shifting irregularities would occur.

Happy New Year.

Well the transmission was recently rebuilt and the fluid is at the correct level and i don't have any codes. I only have bad shifting when cold.

Could you happen to help me with the location of the solenoids on my honda so i could possible check them out. I think i have located most of the solenoids, I am having problems locating the shift solenoid, it is solenoid #7 in the picture.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/455821_solenoids_1.jpg

There seems to be quite a few solenoids, solenoids A&B, a shift solenoid and a linear solenoid. Which one would be the problem?

Terryle00
Hope this diagram is clear enough for you to understand.

It can be any of the solenoids but the most likely would be the AT clutch pressure control solenoid valve A/B assy.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_ATSolenoid98CL6cylFig04_1.jpg

I would first like to thank you for all of your help.

I have located all the solenoids now but I was wondering how do you test to see if a solenoid is bad or going bad? So I can determine which one I would need to change to fix my morning slipping problem.

Thank you soo much!

Terryle00