NEW DRIVEAXLES

1998 Honda Accord

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
1998 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 152000 miles

I recently replaced both front drive axles on my son's 1998 Honda Accord and have had a problem getting the c-clip on the passenger side to seat in its slot. I have replaced the clip to no avail. I have also replaced the transaxle seal on the passenger side. I haved tried to get the c-clip to engage many, many times without any sucess. Any suggestions as to why this might be happening and what to do about it? Could the inner splines of the transaxle be damaged?
Taury1

Hi taury1,

2 possible reasons why the clip is not locking.

1. Axle shaft wrong specs. Measure the length of the inner joints and complete shaft assy with the original.

2. Transaxle seal not seated fully resulting in shaft not going in fully.

You are correct and I figured the problem out 1.5 weeks ago when I removed the drivers side axle and compared the length of the shafts. I had already unwisely returned the old ones for a credit and was unable to compare them. Live and learn! The auto parts supplier would not believe me until I brought both axles in and showed them to the service manager/ mechanic, who told the parts person that I was correct and to reorder the axle again. Thanks

Taury1