DOME LIGHT

1999 Ford Taurus

1999 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Wheel Drive Type unknown Automatic 149000 miles

When the driver side door is closed, the car thinks that the door is still open. The dome light stays on and the car beeps when the keys is in the ignition and the ignition is off. Also, the door open light stays on when the car is running and the driver side door lock will not lock automatically.

Is this a sensor problem, or a door latch problem. Thanks
Bcwolfe

Try this cure, buy a can of brakekleen and a can of spray white lithium grease, spray the latch area, thats the claw in the door where it closes, spray liberally with brakleen, open and close the door 5-6 times, repeat, then spray with the white lube, open and close the door 5-6 times. Reapeat on all doors.

Merlin2021
My car is doing the exact same thing. I was wondering if you tried the advice and if so did it work?

Jonilitreal24
Well why not try it yourself, and let me know?

Merlin2021
Well if I had a lot of money to be throwing around I woulda just had it fixed a long time ago. To me even just $10 is more than I can afford if it doesnt fix the problem. I want to hear someone say yes it worked for me, go try it. Although, I just found out today that my head gasket is blown (which is why I was on this site to begin with) so I dont think I will care to fix that problem considering at this point the whole car is scrap metal as far as Im concerned. Sure do wish insurance covered repairs that exceed the value of the vehicle!

Jonilitreal24
It does work. I did it on my 97 taurus. It was the passenger rear door.

As for your head gasket, if you have a 3.0, change the intake gaskets as well. I had coolant in my oil and the head gasket was fine. The lower intake was allowing a leak into number 1 cylinder.

Justdon
Thank you for your help. Im not sure I will do anything with it but considering I still owe 3k on the vehicle something tells me I cant just part it out either! How difficult is it to do the work myself?

Jonilitreal24
If money is that tight, maybe you should park it before more damage occurs, these things don, t fix themselves.

Merlin2021
Which is why I called it scrap metal. If I didnt have it financed I would just scrap it out. Now I dont know what to do with it!

Jonilitreal24
A simple pressure test will point to the exact problem, be it a head gasket, or intake manifold gasket.

Merlin2021