WONT SHIFT INTO 3RD AND OVERDRIVE

1995 Ford Taurus

1995 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 75000 miles

I have a 1995 ford taurus 3.8L and it just started to have a problem out of the blue. It will shift into 1st and 2nd but will wont shift into 3rd 4th or overdrive.

I have pulled the codes and only get an egr error code 326 ODB1 but if I clear the computers memory it will shift just fine for about a day or two. I saw told by a local mechanic that there maybe a problem with the computer does this sound right or could it be the speed sensor in the trains.

Thanks Rick
Merlain

Have a look at your EGR valve first, 326 is an egr code.
A tech bulletin on the tranny shift problem is as follows.
AX4N TRANSAXLE - NO 4TH GEAR / NO 3-4 SHIFT / DTC TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN Reference Number(s): 98-10-7,  Date of Issue:   May 26, 1998 Related Ref Number(s): 98-10-7 ARTICLE BEGINNING CONDITIONS TRANSAXLE - AX4N - NO 4TH GEAR AND DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTCS) P0734 AND/OR P0761 FOR 1996-98 TAURUS/SABLE AND 1995-98 CONTINENTAL, AND DTC 648 FOR 1994-95 TAURUS/SABLE TRANSAXLE - AX4N - RETAINING CLIP FOR FORWARD CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE - SERVICE TIP APPLICATION Model(s): Ford: 1994-98 Taurus Lincoln-Mercury: 1994-98 Sable 1995-98 Continental Bulletin No.: 98-10-7 Date: May 26, 1998 ISSUE No 4th gear operation (no 3-4 shift) and Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) P0734 and/or P0761 or 648 may occur on some vehicles. This may be caused by a broken retaining clip in the valve body that secures the forward clutch control valve and spring in place. ACTION Replace broken forward clutch control valve retaining clip with revised forward clutch control valve retaining clip. Refer to the following SERVICE PROCEDURE for details. SERVICE PROCEDURE 1. Inspect for a broken retaining clip by removing the valve body and then the valve body separator plate. Inspect the forward clutch control valve, spring, retaining clip, and valve body casting for damage ( Fig. 1 ). 2. If the clip is broken and the forward clutch control valve and/or valve body casting is damaged, replace the main control. The retaining clip has just been revised to prevent the chance of breakage. The revised Retaining Clip (F8DZ-7F194-AA) has circular cutouts on the side of the clip in place of the square cutouts on the previous design level clip ( Fig. 2 ). 3. Inspect the new main control (if required) before installing it and replace this retaining clip for the forward clutch control valve and spring if it's not the new design ( Fig. 2 ). 4. Any time service is required on any AX4N transaxle main control, inspect the retaining clip for the forward clutch control valve to be sure it is the latest design level, and replace the retaining clip if it is not. The revised clip is larger and will remain centered in the valve body casting groove. PARTS INFORMATION PARTS INFORMATION WARRANTY INFORMATION WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage. OPERATION: 981007A DESCRIPTION: Inspect/Repair/Replace Main Control Valve Body TIME: 2.4 Hrs. DEALER CODING: BASIC PART NO.: 7F194 CONDITION CODE: 01 OASIS CODES: 501000, 502000, 503000, 503300, 503400, 504000 Fig. 1: Forward Clutch Controller Valve Fig. 2: Retaining Clip For Forward Clutch Controller Valve Part Number Part Name F8DZ-7F194-AA Forward Clutch Control Valve Retaining Clip Page 2 of 2 5/28/2010 ...

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_1_83.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_2_65.jpg

Merlin2021
Thanks for the quick reply

Question If it was a mechanical problem with the clip wouldn't the problem still be where even after I cleared the computer memory.

Merlain
One would think so, but I have seen stranger things!

Merlin2021
Update I tried a couple of other things last night

1. I removed the computer to get the numbers off of it just in case I needed to replace it then I put it back in and made sure it is seated real good.

2 Then I reset the computer to get a clean code run and I still get the error code 326 witch is

" EGR sensor circuit voltage lower then expected" So I need to find out if it is the EGR valve or the EGR pressure sensor that is giving me that error.?

Talk about strange things happening after all that the trains is shifting just fine. I don't know what fixed it but for now it is working.

Merlain
If you have a hand vacuum pump, remove the vac lint to the egr, attach the pump, pump it up, if the car stalls, EGR is working. Make sure there is no carbon blocking the pintle from bottoming in it's bore.

Merlin2021