WITH UNSTEADY IDOL/STALLING

Ford Ranger

My 1986 ford ranger starts like a brand new truck. When it gets running it idols high for a while and then when I give it some gas in neutral it idols down and seems to be running off low power. THen when I drive its fine for like 5 miles or so and then it seems to want to stall out when I am slowing down. Oddly its always in the same spot when I am driving to work. I have recently replaced the regulator, belts, fuel pump and had her degreased, I have also tightened up the valve gasket.

plz reply with anything!

mjm
Dlisk

Scan it for any stored codes in the memory, check engine light may not come on. Do that first(scan)

TaurusWheel
I am going to have it scanned tommorow I hope.

Dlisk
Are you planning on keeping this vehicle? One of the best expenditures you can make is some type of code reader. For your car, they cost about 30 or so bucks, eec4 system obdI. For newer vehicles obdII 96, some 95's, to current, a decent reader can be had for 70 bucks up. Think of all the money we waste, cost of one of these more then pays for itself 1st time you use it, they're not the definitive answer to every issue, but they're worth their weight in gold when trying to at least get a handle on the issue. Cars are too complicated today and expensive to just be replacing parts hoping for the best.

TaurusWheel