FUEL PUMP PROBLEMS

Ford F-250

The truck is a 1990 Ford F-250, it has the 460 motor and dual fuel tanks. The truck ran great before it was parked, I went out to start and move the truck. Well the fuel pumps don't kick on(neither one). There is no power getting to the fuel pumps. I have replaced the fuel pump relay also. What could this be? I don't think it is the fuel pump because again it has dual tanks and I don't feel that both of them would have went out at the same time while not even driving the truck. All and any of your help is much appreciated, thanks for your time.
Kevmiester3

Have you tried the inertia switch

You mentioed that you replaced the fuse. I hope that you also checked out the fuses both in the dash and under the hood.

Good luck.

Let the forum know what happens. We like feedback.

If we help, vote for those who deserve it.

Bhugg
Yes I have checked the inertia switch, where are the fuses located at under the hood, I see where the relays are and I thought that the fuses were supposed to be in the same place.

Kevmiester3
Do you have power going to the F/P relay and Inertia switch-

You need the owners manual to find the fuel pump fuse or call the dealer to help out.

Did you have any custom work on this truck, Running boards or anything? I have seen drill holes into wire, fuel lines etc. Check the ground!

Merlin2021
As for the fuses under the hood, I would think that they would be in the same box too.

Bhugg
Ok, I have not had any custom work done to the truck since it has stopped working. I am getting power to the fp relay but NOT the inertia switch, I also cannot find the fuses under the hood, the haynes manual shows that they are located in the same box as the relays, but the relays are in a rectangle thing and they are the only thing located there. Since there is power getting to the relay but not the inertia switch, where does the problem have to be, I believe that mice could have chewed through a wire, but is there any way to track this down? There was a mouse nest on the engine, and it looked to be made out of the casing that goes around several wires. Also in which position is the inertia switch supposed to be in? Up or down, im guessing down, which is where I put it

Kevmiester3
There are no fuses under the hood on the 90 model. You may need to double check the power to the relay. I'll try to make this simple- unplug the relay and see if there is power on one of the two large spade terminals. If there is install a jumper wire between the two LARGE spade terminals. One of the fuel pumps should run (key off or on doesn't matter) It may be the selector switch in the dash. Let me know

Fordtech1
One of the fuel pumps kicked on when I jumped the spades like you said. What should I do now?

Kevmiester3
With that test you made sure that the fuse link, inertia switch, selector tank switch and fuel pump are good. So now we have to find out wihy the ecm is not energizing the relay. Check the computer grounds, they come right off the negative battery cable into the body wiring harness by the battery.

Fordtech1