1999 Ford F-150

Steering problem
1999 Ford F150 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 76000 miles

The garage where I got an oil change said I need uppers & lowers. He took a large adjustable [pipe?] Wrench and was squeezing the joint near the tire up and down. He was able to compress it maybe a 1/2-inch at most, then did the same at the other end of the rod. He said Ford had re-designed the front end and inserted a new spring that kept all 'play' out of the steering wheel, but that I was in danger of loosing my steering and should have this done SOON. He quoted me about $350, which seems reasonable for the work & parts, but is he right that there will be no warning that a wheel is about to fail or fall off? He also said the driver side was tight, but that both should be done together. Thanks for any insites, -v

Upper and lowers usually references ball joints, inners and outer for tie rod ends.

There may be reduced labor for doing both sides, but ask. If not I would wait until I had to myself.

Usually warning signs such as vibration, clunking wobbling may surface ahead of time, sometimes without warning. It happened to me 25 years ago or so.