F150, WITH A 300, AT, IDLES ROUGH

1982 Ford F-150

Hi,

I just purchased a 1982 Ford f150 inline 6 (300), with AT. When the truck gets up to operating tempurature it starts to have a rough idle, and at times may stall out. Prior to reaching operating tempurature the truck idles great and never stalls.

Any ideas as to where I should start?

Thank you,

Eric
Honda400

Any maintenece history? Might just be in need of a tune up. Plgs, wires, cap, rotor, etc.
Fuel injection or carbeurated?

Good luck and : ) post back.

Peppermrj
Thank you for your reply.

It does have a carb, and I do not know the maint. History.

Thanks, Eric

Honda400
Six cylinders have a way of shaking the carb loose. Check it out. Do a tune up also. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, PCV valve, fuel filter, and a tank of gas with intake/carb/injector cleaner. I like chevron with techron or seafoam.

Good luck and let us know. : )

Peppermrj
Thanks, I'll try that and let you know!

Eric

Honda400
Forgot to mention that the carb can come loose at the mounting bolts and the bolts/screws that actually hold the carb together. Check and tighten both as needed.

Peppermrj
Could be choke adjustment as well check adjustment after you done what peppermj has suggested above.

Lovescars