HESITATION FROM DEAD STOP

2004 Ford Explorer

2004 Ford Explorer V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 70,250 miles

My explorer definately hesitates from a dead stop only when the fuel is in the last 1/4 tank or less. It seems the fuel is not getting to the engine. I have NOT had the fuel pressure checked or the filter changed. Could it be a losse filler cap?
Help,
thanks,
Loudaug
Loudaug

2004 Ford Explorer HESITATION FROM DEAD STOP

Dirty fuel injectors (cleaning the injectors often fixes this).
Bad MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor
Bad TPS (throttle position) sensor
Bad or dirty MAF (mass airflow) sensor
Low fuel pressure (leaky fuel pressure regulator or weak fuel pump)
Vacuum leaks (intake manifold, vacuum hoses, throttle body, EGR valve)
Bad gasoline (fuel contaminated with water or too much alcohol)

Sometimes, what feels like a hesitation is actually ignition misfire rather than lean misfire. The causes of ignition misfire may include: Dirty or worn spark plugs
Bad plug wires
Weak ignition coil
Wet plug wires

Rasmataz, this only happens when the fuel tank is low. I have been monitoring this for a couple of months now. You gave me many possible causes, which one/one's would be most likely only when the fuel is low?

Thanks, Loudaug

Loudaug
Check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter and fuel pump

My guess is the fuel pump and sender is starving on take off. I'd want to check the tank once I got it apart for any issues as many times when you get below 1/4 tank, the pump starts sucking up everything and sometimes the screen gets clogged giving a loss of power like that

Mjr346