CHECK ENGINE LIGHT/ REPLACE DPFE SENSOR

1996 Ford Explorer

Computer problem
1996 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 210000 miles

I failed the emissions testing because of my DPFE (or emissions feedback pressure sensor). I replaced it, unhooked the battery to reset the " check engine light". But the next day when I went for testing I was told my PCM had not finish cycling, and was incomplete. Come back and test another day. How long after the battery pull does it take to reset the PCM? I dont have a scan tool to reset it so my only option was this method.
Xshawx

You would need to leave the battery cables off for at least 5 minutes. But this will only delete DTC's from KAM. (Keep alive memory) these are minor fault codes. Some code's will not delete by removing battery on some vehicle's. Take the car to a good autopart's store. Most good one's will read and delete for free? And by cycling. He mat have meant the PCM. Was still in it's re-learn state. In which case you just need to drive the vehicle around for a while

I know you have no scan tool. But this is a ford recomended drive cycle.
OBD-II Drive Cycle
NOTE: The IAT PID must be between 50-100 °F (10-38 °C) during the OBD-II drive cycle to enter into all the OBD-II monitors. The FLI PID must be between 15% and 85% at all times.

Drive in stop-and-go traffic with at least 4 idle periods (30 seconds each) while observing the status of the OBD-II monitor on the scan tool. If the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR), Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S), Evaporative (EVAP) emission, secondary Air (AIR) (if applicable) or catalyst efficiency monitor have not completed, drive on the highway at a constant speed over 40 mph not to exceed 65 mph for up to 15 minutes. Heavy accelerations, sudden decelerations and wide open throttles are not recommended. If the scan tool sends out a three pulse beep at any time, the OBD-II drive cycle has completed.
NOTE: Vehicles equipped with the EVAP purge flow system or EVAP vapor management flow system monitor do not require EVAP monitor completion to clear the DTC P1000.

If the EGR, HO2S, EVAP, secondary AIR (if applicable) or catalyst efficiency monitor has not completed, perform the corresponding monitor verification drive cycle. See MONITOR REPAIR VERIFICATION DRIVE CYCLES.
Bring the vehicle to a stop and retrieve Continuous Memory DTCs to verify the DTC P1000 has been erased.

Dave H
Thanks Dave. Great Advice.

Xshawx
No problem. Anytime . My crazy hat deserves a vote if nothing else. Ha ha

Dave H