BRAKE PEDAL

1998 Ford Contour

Brakes problem
1998 Ford Contour 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 84000 km

i just put in a brand new rotor, and the brake pads and brake shoes are in good shape. When I start the car, the brake pedal is all the way down. I have to pump a few times to bring the pedal up. I never opened any lines, but I still did the bleed. It was working fine until I chagned the rotor. Whats the problem and how do I fix it?
Gandu

Hi there,

What I feel is that when you bleed the system the master cylinder primary seal has failed, this is called by-passing, what I feel is happening is that with light pedal pressure the seal is allowing the fluid to by-pass and with harder presser the seal will spread and word better, normally with this if you pump up the brakes and hold constant light pressure the pedal will sink to the floor.

Mhpautos
I changed the master cylinder, and my brake pedal is so hard and my wheel is ceased. So I loosened up the brake pipe from the master cylinder, so my break released.

Thanks for your help.

Gandu
Hi there,

This is called residual line pressure caused by not having enough brake pedal clearance, a faulty master cylinder or if just one brake is affected a collapsed brake hose.

Mhpautos
Hi, thank you for the reply.
I put a new gas cap, and code 0446 still comes up. Where can I find an emission canister?

Gandu